There is nothing like a good song to get you inspired and energized and to set the mood for your day’s adventures! Lately I’ve been building a playlist of songs that inspire me and my family when we do service projects. Here’s what we have so far…
1. “Do Something” by Mathew West – I love that opening part when he’s complaining about all the trouble in the world and he says, “God, why don’t you do something?” The answer, “I did. I created YOU!” It’s an awesome reminder that God put me on this earth to be a blessing to others.
2. “Hands and Feet” by Audio Adrenaline. An oldie (2001, but I could swear it’s A LOT older), but a goodie. Audio A still appeals to this recovering grunge gen-Xer.
3. “Kings and Queens” by the new incarnation of Audio Adrenaline (not the newest version of the band, but the brief period when Kevin Max Smith from DC Talk was the frontman). This song is powerful, both lyrically and in presentation. The music video is fun too. It has the band and some Hatian kids having a snowball fight of sorts with color war powder.
4. “Give me Your Eyes” by Brandon Heath – nothing inspires compassion like seeing the world through Jesus’s eyes. I don’t know about you, but I often miss opportunities to help others because I don’t think of it until it’s too late. So this song is like my prayer that I would see things how Jesus sees them: to notice needs and be moved to help.
5. “Fix my Eyes” by For King and Country. This is my current favorite song. It’s upbeat and powerful. The chorus lists wonderful acts of service that we all know we should be doing if we’re actively living out faith the way Jesus taught, and then he closes with the clincher, “…above it all – Fix my eyes on YOU!” I love that reminder; it’s easy to burn out trying to be good or do good things when you take your eyes off God and see only the world’s troubles.
So that’s my little playlist. I’m always looking to add songs as five go by too fast!
There are some good secular songs too for inspiring service:
“Imagine” by John Lennon
“We are the World”
Pretty much anything U2 has done in the last 25 years.
“Don’t Stop Believin'” by Journey
“Change the World” by Eric Clapton
“With a Little Help from my Friends” by Joe Cocker
“Help!” by the Beatles
“Volunteers” by Jefferson Airplane
The list goes on and on! Add your favorite volunteering anthems in the comments!
1 thought on “Service Project Playlists”
A couple new additions:
“What are you Waiting for” by Natalie Grant. It’s the ultimate question. What are we waiting for?
“Evidence” by Citizen Way. I love the line that is the heart of the song, “love is the evidence.” I want to tattoo that line on my feet.